Thursday, August 6, 2009

I miss my sister!

As many of you know, my sister got married on July 25. A few days later she and my wonderful new brother-in-law jetted off to Maui for their honeymoon. I am happy for them. I hope they have enjoyed their trip immensely. I am thrilled that they were able to enjoy the beginning of their married life in such a magical and beautiful place. Really, I am very happy for them. I'm even past being jealous that they got to go to Hawaii and I didn't, but now I want them to come home. I miss my sister! She is coming home tomorrow and I am very excited to see her. While I wait (well I won't actually just sit here and wait, I miss her
but I do have other things to do) I thought I would share some photos from her wedding. Also below I am going to copy the speech I delivered as Matron of Honor because a lot of people have asked me about it. The inspiration for my speech came from the song My Wish by Rascal Flatts. Due to some drama that we will not get into here I couldn't use the song, but did integrate some of the lyrics that were most important to me into the speech. Enjoy!

The happy couple at the rehearsal dinner.




Ashley and me at the rehearsal dinner.







My sister, the beautiful Bride!

The very handsome Ring Bearer
My dad walking Ashley down the aisle.

The are married!

It was a gorgeous wedding. I am so happy that Justin is now officially part of our family. It was quite a party afterward also, I think a good time was had by all.

And now my speech:

Three days after my third birthday I was gifted with a baby sister. Of course I don’t remember Ashley being born or her homecoming. These early memories come in the form of photos I have viewed countless times over the years along with stories told to us by our parents of the early days. From what I hear, one of the most exciting parts of getting this new baby sister was that I also got a new Cabbage Patch doll. My mom can attest to the fact that I took the care of my new doll very seriously. As Mom took care of Ashley, I diligently cared for my own new baby. As I said, I don’t specifically remember this, but I do know that before long the Cabbage Patch doll was cast aside and treated just like any other toy. Evidently my assistance was much more crucial in taking care of my new sister. I didn’t know it at the time, but I can tell you for sure as I stand here today that it wasn’t just my sister that was born on that day nearly 25 years ago, it was my best friend.

I have always made every effort to take care of Ashley, her happiness and well-being has always been very important to me. It would be fair to say that I have had many hopes and dreams for Ashley. My greatest wish is that her life would become all that she wanted. Ashley is a wonderful person; full of life, happiness, smiles and spunk. Ashley, when it is cold outside, continue to show the world the warmth of your smile. You will never know how much that smile means to so many people. My sister has always marched to the beat of her own drummer and I admire her for that. The best thing about our relationship is that it has always been reciprocal. Although in many ways we are polar opposites, this has allowed us to compliment each other. It seems that whatever one of us needs, the other is right there to offer.

Ashley and I have always had each other. We have been through so much together, good and bad. Ashley has always been there right by my side, and I have tried my best to do the same for her.

Today, Ashley and Justin have pledged their love to each other in front of God and all of us. They have become husband and wife and vowed to be there for each other in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad. Ashley, I hope you never look back, but never forget all the ones who love you in the place you left. But really, you have not left. Our family has grown today. The commitment you have made to Justin today does not in any way change the commitment that I have to you. True, we have never taken vows, but we have the bond that only sisters share. Today, through your vows I have the pleasure of sharing a new bond with Justin as my brother.

As I said, today, my husband Wes and I have gained a brother in Justin. I know I speak for both of us in saying that we feel very blessed. Justin is a wonderful man and compliments our sister perfectly. He loves her as every man should love his wife. They are lucky to have found each other and we wish them all of the happiness in the world. I wish that their life becomes all that they want it to. Know that we all want the same for you. Dream big, love each other, and keep smiling. I love you both very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment