Sunday, October 4, 2009

One year ago today.

I am one of those people who remembers dates, phone numbers, addresses and to be honest just a ton of other information. Don't get me wrong, I am not good at math. This skill never served me in a history class when asked to recall important things that happened and on what date. It is more like if it was important to me or someone that I love, I'll remember it. No photographic memory here, I'm just a weirdo.

That being said, one year ago today our lives changed forever. Owen was born seemingly healthy with a very minor cleft lip on August 27, 2008. He and I were discharged from the hospital 2 days after his birth, just like normal. We brought home a healthy baby boy, or so it seemed. As time passed he showed symptoms that mimicked those of GERD. I thought he looked jaundiced. We were given a prescription to reduce the acid in his stomach and I was told that he wasn't jaundiced, "that is just the way newborns look." It was 37 days later after his birth that we realized something was terribly wrong. Most of you know the story. For that reason and the fact that I don't have the time or emotional energy to tell the whole story. The short version is that the illness that Owen had all along (Grade 5 Bladder Reflux) gave him a terrible kidney infection. He crashed, went septic, had to be rushed first to the ER and then downtown to the PICU at Hemby Children's Hospital, and we came very close to losing him. This day last year was one of the very worst days of my life. This year I have a healtly boy with health issues and physical disabilities. This year, today I have a little boy who is happy. A boy who still has a long road ahead of him, but he is here and we are blessed. I truly do feel blessed today. I thank God for Owen, and my family in general. On the other hand I feel very emotional and have lots of anxiety to go along with the memories of this day one year ago.

Owen, thank you for fighting. Continue to fight, continue to give me signs, and know that I along with your Daddy and big brother will be always be here to fight along with you. We love you so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment