Friday, October 2, 2009

Awareness

As you may know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I am always aware of Breast Cancer and how devistating the effects can be. This is because my mom is a Breast Cancer survivor. This year is her 9th year cancer free after enduring a mastecotomy and reconstruction. She is an amazingly strong, wonderful and corageous woman who means the world to me.

These days I believe one would be hard pressed to find a person who has not been effected by this terrible disease. In 2009 alone there have so far been 192,370 new cases of Breast Cancer diagnosed in women and 1,910 new cases in men. Yes, men can get breast cancer too. My grandfather-in-law is also a survivor.

My point, and I do have one, is that this disease is prevelant and devestating. It is also detectable. Go to your yearly doctor appointments. Have yearly mammograms. Do self exams monthly. Spread the word. I think it is great that we have an entire month dedicated to awareness for this disease. I also believe that it is something to be constantly awareness and congnicent of.

Below are a few sites that are useful for information, donation, etc.

www.Komen.org
www.thebreastcancersite.com (this site offers an awesome feature. Just by clicking a button daily you can help fund mammograms for women who cannot afford them. It costs you nothing!)
http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/types/breast

No comments:

Post a Comment