Saturday, September 5, 2009

I fought my laptop and the laptop won!

On Wednesday I was rushing to get out of the house and had an accident. I wasn't late or really in any hurry to be anywhere, I just tend to move quickly and am admittedly a bit of a klutz. So my laptop was sitting on top of a fairly high end table (about 3 feet high I'd say) and was plugged in to a nearby outlet. I tripped over the cord and the computer came crashing down on my foot. It hit my right foot diagonally, battery side down, across the big toe side of my foot. I screamed, loud. Owen really was a little trooper. He just sat there nicely looking at me like perhaps I had lost my mind as I crawled to the couch and cried and cried. My mom was out, but luckily when I called her to come rescue me she was only about 5 minutes away. My big toe and the part of my foot right under it was already purple and very very swollen. I applied ice for about half an hour, saw no improvement and decided that and x-ray was going to be necessary. My sister came to get me since I couldn't drive and my mom kept Owen. To make a long story short, I went to the doctor (luckily they do x-rays right in the office), and found out that my big toe was broken. It is a pretty bad break right across where my toenail is. She said that I wouldn't need a cast because you really can't cast a toe, especially when the break is that far up, but I would need to stay off of it. I started laughing and so did she. Her daughter goes to school with Carter so she knows that I have two small children whose care necessitates that I be ON my feet much of the time. Nope she said, I was getting crutches and would need to enlist help. My mom and Ashley both pitched in where there schedules allowed on Thursday, but they both already had plans to be out of town this weekend. Wes ended up having to take Friday off work because I couldn't carry Owen. Probably not his idea of a riveting vacation day, but I really appreciate his support.

I'm still on the crutches. My toe hurts extremely bad and the rest of my foot, although it is not broken does not feel very swell either. Uh, no pun intended, it is actually very swollen. I'm looking forward to the pain subsiding and being able to put weight on my foot. Crutches really are not fun at all. At least my upper body is getting a workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment