Sunday, September 4, 2011

Kindergarten

Carter had his first glimpse at Kindergarten back in April when we went for registration and Open House. He was curious but shy. He was given an assessment test and we toured the school. I know that at the time Kindergarten seemed like a far off place to both Carter and to me.

As usual, time has flown by. Even though it seems like just yesterday that we were casually touring the school, it is indeed September and Carter has finished his first week of Kindergarten. School started for our district on August 25. Kindergarten was the exception. As hundreds of kids were saying goodbye to summer and returning to school, Kindergarteners (and their parents) were entering a while new world. All of the Kindergarten classes started on a staggered schedule. At Open House in April, we picked the day that would be Carter's first day of Kindergarten. I think about 5 or 6 kids started in each class each day starting on the 25th until the real first day of Kindergarten on August 31st. Carter's staggered start day was the 29th, so he started on Monday, had Tuesday off and started going every day on Wednesday. It worked out pretty well. I didn't want to have him start too early and therefore have too many days off before August 31st. Wouldn't want him forgetting his new routine. It seemed like the best choice for Carter because as I suspected he had a great day on Monday, begged to go back Tuesday and couldn't, but was still interested in returning on Wednesday.

August 23rd was orientation. This is when we found out who Carter's teacher would be (exactly the teacher I was hoping he would get) look at his new classroom, ask lots of questions, find out his bus number, ask some more questions, and buy t-shirts for school spirit. Carter was a bit reserved as we went to his new classroom and met his teacher. He took his time looking around, checking the place out. Before long he had familiarized himself with the place and started to explore, ask the teacher questions of his own. Though I was feeling very overwhelmed by all of this and the idea of sending my baby to Kindergarten, I left feeling as comfortable as I was going to feel. I asked all of my questions, Carter asked his questions and knew where he was going. We would be fine. Right?

Overall, his first week of school went well. He likes his teacher, he made new friends and he really likes recess. We had the requisite first day snafu; there was a miscommunication and they didn't put Carter on the bus in the afternoon. He took the whole thing in stride. I frantically sped to the school, worrying that Carter was going to feel abandoned and think we left him at school. When I got there he was sitting in the office with his teacher, making friends with another boy who was supposed to have been sent home on the bus. We had that all worked out for Wednesday and Carter rode the school bus for the first time. This was one of the things he was looking most forward to about going to school, and I think it ended up being a bit of a letdown. When I asked him how the bus ride was, he was most excited to report that he gets to sit right behind the bus driver. That's how it is, the little kids up front and the big kids in the back. I doubt he will think sitting at the front of the bus is so cool for very much longer. Thursday was the only day that he struggled a bit. At one point during the day he just didn't want to follow directions. That was also the day he came home looking like he might just fall asleep standing up. He was exhausted, and even after laying down to rest for an hour or so, he was still pretty whooped. We talked about listening to his teacher and following directions and he had a much better day on Friday.

He will return on Tuesday after the long weekend, but will have to walk in and go to his classroom by himself. Last week I took him in, and while we didn't have any sobbing or serious leg-clinging, I know it was a comfort to him. Tuesday is the day that the school has decided that the kids don't need a hand to hold in the morning. I will drive up to the school and go through the drop-off line. I will drive away and wonder if my boy is scared, if he will find the right hallway. All things considered, I think he likes Kindergarten. For me, I think it is going to take a bit more getting used to.

I will post some pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment