Friday, July 12, 2013

Orthopedic Check-up

This morning Owen had a check up with Dr. Casey after four weeks. He has been getting around very well with his walker so I was very confident. Still, because of the number of times that I have been no-so-pleasantly surprised during an appointment, I couldn't help but be a touch nervous. Luckily everything looked wonderful and the doctor was thrilled with his progress. There was a great deal of increased healing. The bone that was already looking good a month ago had calcified even more. The few parts that hadn't shown much calcification yet looked quite a bit better. As she has said before, the doctor referred to Owen as a "super healer". He has graduated from physical therapy, which was perhaps the biggest surprise to me. He is now WBAT, or weight bearing as tolerated. As is the case with most almost-five-year-old boys, Owen is certainly pushing the envelope. His leg doesn't hurt him anymore, and he is certainly on the move! He is certainly pushing it with his new weight-bearing rules. Dr. Casey obviously has a plan for this. We have told Owen one set of rules, and when he pushes a bit I let him push a certain amount and pretend not to notice. He can walk a bit without his walker, but I certainly don't cheer him on. That would cause him to push further. She feels that when we go back in another four weeks it will be sans walker. I predict that it will happen within two weeks. 

I am so thrilled that Owen is doing so well, and I am beyond proud of my little man and how hard he has worked to get to this point.

Such a happy day!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! I've been praying since your last update (and before!) and am so thrilled to hear this news. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete