Thursday, March 15, 2012

Accident

Until Tuesday I had never been involved in a serious car accident. A few minor fender benders, but other than that I had been very lucky. Well, there is a first time for everything.

Tuesday morning I had an appointment in Waxhaw, about an hour away from where we live. On my way home, at about 11:30 am I was driving on a very busy, notoriously dangerous road with a lot of intersections and traffic lights. Because of some extenuating circumstances involving the two people in one of the other cars involved in the accident, I do not feel that it is a good idea to go into details about what happened at this time. In other words, because of these people we are dealing with a great deal of annoying complications. As if having a serious accident is not enough. I am very lucky that my husband is taking the reins as far as handling the insurance aspect of the accident and also corresponding with the police. As of now it is not necessary for the police to question me further, but I will not be surprised if it does happen. For the record, they won't be questioning me because of anything that I did wrong.

I am writing this post as I rest uncomfortably in my own bed at home. I was very blessed not to have sustained any severe injuries. I spent about 7 hours in the hospital and was sent home, ordered to remain on bed-rest for 3 days because of my neck and back injuries. I am not supposed to sit for more than 10-15 minutes. I hurt my neck (whiplash I would guess), sprained my left wrist, hurt my back (hence the bed-rest and also being advised not to sit for too long. Apparently that will cause more stress on my spine and slow the healing) and have a few abrasions from the seat belt and air bag.The outcome could have been oh so much worse, and I am so thankful that I am ok. I am not even thinking about the car right now. However, for inquiring minds, the general opinion is that it probably will not be totaled. Fingers crossed.

Since I had neck and back injuries, the extent of which were not known at the scene of the accident, I was put on a back board in what the EMTs called C-Spine Precaution position.

If you know me, you know that I am claustrophobic, I hate hospitals and I hate ambulances even more. There was definitely some panic going on. And by the way, the EMTs telling me that I was causing more tension and stress for my already injured body did not help in the least. I was glad my x-rays all came back fine and extremely glad to get off of that back board. I will take a stretcher with no straps confining me any day. Really, I'm hoping to stay far away from hospitals for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, in addition to still being in pretty awful pain, I am also having a lot of emotional issues as a result of the accident. It was just so scary. It is scary to think of what could have happened, all the things that would have made it worse. Of course I am trying to change my focus, but I am having nightmares and flashbacks nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment