Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vacation, Business and a Birthday

That's right, I'm behind again. Things have been crazy busy here as usual. Here's a quick run-down.

At the end of September Wes and I were able to travel North sans kiddos for the wedding of one of Wes' childhood friends. The boys were in good hands as my parents, aunt, sister and brother-in law came together to watch them for the long weekend. They had so much fun I doubt that they even realized we were gone. We made the drive, stopping for 4 hours in Richmond, VA for Wes to meet with a colleague and look at some equipment. This was no fun at all, as it is a long drive and I just wanted to get there. We arrived at Wes' parents' house in Pennsylvania just in time for dinner. This was only the third time that I have been back to our hometown in Pennsylvania in the more than two and a half years since we moved South. It still feels strange for me, especially staying at my in-laws' home, which is where Wes grew up and lived while we were dating. Friday we had a nice day hanging out and running some errands before heading to NYC for Eric and Abby's wedding.

The wedding was beautiful. Wes and Eric met when they were 12 years old and grew up together in the same neighborhood in Pennsylvania. After high school they went their separate ways, but kept in contact. The wedding was at St. Patrick's Old Cathedral in Manhattan and the reception was at the W Hotel in Union Square. Both beautiful. Being back in NYC brought back a lot of memories from visits in the past. I guess in general living in such close proximity to Philadelphia and New York City for all of those years is just completely different than living in the suburbs of Charlotte on a gorgeous lake where life just moves at a slower pace. It was just wonderful to be able to make the trip, but made me realize how much I love where I live now.

We got home from our trip (which totally wrecked me) on Sunday, just in time to celebrate my dad's birthday. It was great to see the boys after being away. Wes then had to leave to go on a business trip that next Friday. His week was a crazy one, preparing for the trade show that he was to be attending in Chicago. He was gone until the following Thursday, making for a long week for all of us. Again, I am lucky to have family close. I am especially blessed to have a family in which we all stick together and help each other. My sister and brother-in-law watched one of our dogs and the entire family pitched in to help me with the boys. It made it a whole lot less stressful than having to be a solo parent for an entire week. As I've said before, it really helps that my boys have such a close relationship with their extended family. Regardless, by the time Daddy finally came home I don't know who was more excited- me or the boys!

This past weekend, Saturday to be precise, was Wes' birthday. My darling husband turned 30! He jokes that he is now an old man, but 30 is by no means old. I am proud of all that he has accomplished in his 30 years and the man that he has become. It is hard to believe that I have known him since he was 16. We truly have been through so much together. Wes' parents were able to be here visiting and celebrate the birth of their youngest child. It was very special for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment