Sunday, October 17, 2010

Urology News

On Friday, Owen had a six month appointment with Dr. Gazak to make sure all is well from a urology standpoint. In all the times we have been to his office, I think this was only the second time he was there on time and had not gotten stuck in surgery. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem waiting. If it were my child that he was operation on I would want him to be there instead of rushing to the office. Still, it made for a much shorter visit than we are used to. Owen still got a chance to climb around in the play house that is in the waiting room. Then it was time for his renal pelvic ultrasound. I was a little worried about how this was going to go. When he was very young he did great during the ultrasounds. He would pretty much just lie there and let us move him to the appropriate positions. The last time he had one (six months ago) it was a disaster. He cried, he squirmed, he screamed. He basically made it nearly impossible to get a good view of his kidney and bladder as well as look for his ureters. Luckily he was perfect during the ultrasound. When he was supposed to lay on his back he did. He didn't even mind the ultrasound jelly on his belly. He got a little bit on his finger and asked Nurse Judy to wipe it off. He was talkative and response to Judy and she loved it. There was a period of time where Owen was not such a fan of doctors' offices (wonder why?) and wanted nothing to do with anyone wearing scrubs or carrying a stethoscope. The kid is no dummy, he'd had enough! He even let Judy carry him to the other exam room to wait for his appointment with Dr. Gazak.

When Dr. Gazak came in the room he was greeted pleasantly by Owen, instead of the uncertain once-over that had become fairly common. Owen has always loved Dr. Gazak, but he also fell into the category of "I'm going to be a bit on guard with you since I'm not sure what your intentions are". After exchanging pleasantries, Wes and I both noticed Dr. Gazak holding Owen's ultrasound photos and were anxious to hear the news. The news was: Owen's ultrasound looked wonderful and he is doing great. I was able to breathe a tremendous sigh of relief. I had been so scared that we may hear something unexpected, and it was just awesome to hear that my Little Man is really better. His right kidney (as you may remember this was the one that sustained the most stress due to the reflux) has grown substantially in the past six months. It had been a bit on the small side due to its having been battered by Owen's disease. Also, the images showed no substantial hydronephrosis to speak of. This is a first. I asked about any further increased risk of infection for Owen and Dr. Gazak said it isn't really something to be extra concerned about. He said if he did develop an infection, it would be like that of a "typical" child and would most likely remain a UTI or in the worst case a bladder infection. I have actually been given permission to stop worrying about Owen's kidneys! I'm not saying I'll have an easy time doing it, but it sure is an awesome goal to shoot for.

Owen doesn't have to go back for another check-up and ultrasound for another 9 months. We have graduated from bi-annual visits to every 9 months!

As I've said so many times, I feel so blessed and I am so proud of Owen for coming this far. He really is amazing. I also feel truly blessed that so many people have taken interest in his situation and for the outpouring of caring love and prayer. Thank you, again and again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment