Tuesday, May 25, 2010

13 Years and Counting...

Today marks the 13th anniversary of the day that Wes and I started dating. Yup, for those of you who didn't already know, we are high school sweethearts. We started dating when I was a freshman and Wes was a sophomore. Wow did I love that boy, and wow do I love this man even more. We have been through so much together, both good and bad. There truly isn't much I would change. Everything that we have been through has made our relationship and our love that much stronger and deeper.

One thing that I will never forget is when we went for pre-marital counseling with the priest at our church that we hoped would join us as husband and wife. She said something like "I have never married a couple as young as you two are." (We weren't THAT young. We had finished college and already been together for 7 years) I saw this as irrelevant. Then she asked, "You have never dated anyone other than each other. How do you know that you want to commit yourselves to each other for life?" My answer- "Correct, he is the only man I have ever dated, but I have had plenty of relationships." This elicited quite a strange look. I continued, "Neither of us is the same person that we were when we began dating in high school. We have evolved several times into different people. The only difference is that we did it together. We grew up together and because of all of the different people we have been and all of the different relationships we have had I am perfectly sure that I want to commit myself to this man for life." I may be paraphrasing slightly, but not much. That is what I said in a nutshell. She loved my take on our lives, love and relationship and said that she was happy to marry us.

I digress. Today I feel very blessed that the super cool track-team captain asked me to be his girlfriend. Truly, we are lucky to have found each other and to have chosen to commit to one another.

2 comments: