Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Other Man- A True Lifesaver

I love my husband and two boys more than anything. However, for the past 18 months there has been another man in my life. Not to worry, it is not a secret. I know I have expressed my love for him at least a hundred times. We all love him. I am speaking of Owen's urologist, Dr. Gazak, of course.

Last Wednesday I took Owen to the hospital for bloodwork that was ordered for Dr. Gazak in preparation for Owen's check-up this past Friday. It was the most calm I have ever seen Owen at the lab. Actually, the most comfortable I have seen him in any medical setting in quite a while. He has become understandable worried, even frightened, of medical professionals. If you are wearing scrubs or wielding a stethoscope does not want you anywhere near him. I was shocked and very proud of him.

Friday was Owen's first check-up with Dr. Gazak since the surgery in January that resolved his bladder reflux. He has been doing well, acting fine and perfectly healthy. Still, I could not help but worry about the results of his tests. It goes back to what I mentioned in a previous post about how difficult it is to wrap one's mind around such a huge change, even a wonderful one such as the huge improvement in Owen's health. Like I said, there isn't just a flip to switch to turn off the emotions that come with caring for and worrying about your child with a major illness, one that we thought would be a lifetime disability.

Dr. Gazak was right on schedule on Friday, which is fairly unusually given the amount of time he spends in surgery and the fact that he is a very gifted surgeon with quite a lot of patients. After a very short wait Nurse Judy came to take us back for and ultrasound. Again, Owen did much better during the ultrasound than he ever has. He usually cries and moves around like crazy, making it very difficult for Judy to get good pictures and measurements of his kidneys. This time he lay very still, taking a peel and stick Bob the Builder off of the wall next to him and putting it back over and over. He even talked to Judy, smiled at her and was very pleasant. She was thrilled that she didn't make him cry for once. As she was doing the ultrasound, I could tell his kidneys looked good. We talked about it as she looked and measured. There was a tiny bit of hydronephrosis in his right kidney (the side that took much longer to heal and led Dr. Gazak to believe that the ureter re implant had failed when he went to take the stents out back in November). It was a very small amount. She had to look for it, whereas before there was a ton and it was completely obvious as soon as she scanned his kidney. She was unable to find any hydro on the left side.

After the ultrasound she took us down the hall to an exam room. Dr. Gazak was standing right in the hallway getting ready to review the ultrasound films. He greeted Wes, Owen and me and asked how we were doing. He asked about my kidney issues. I said, "that is another story." At that point I was just beside myself waiting to hear his take on things. I said, "you tell us". We went into the exam room where he thoroughly explained the pictures of Owen's kidneys to us. I love that he is still so thorough in his explanations despite the fact that he knows how much I know about Owen's urinary tract. He knows I want to know it all. He said that the hydro on the right side was basically nothing, not to worry. He went on to tell us about Owen's blood results. His creatinine level was great, his electrolytes were great. The only level that was slightly lower than normal was his CO2 level. This is a level used to measure kidney function, however it is not as crucial as creatinine levels. The CO2 level can also be slightly low because diet. For instance, Owen is teething something awful (and drooling like a St. Bernard I might add) so he hasn't been eating as well. Again, Dr. Gazak said nothing to worry about. The only other thing of note is that his right kidney is about 1.75 mm smaller than the left one. He said this was because it had been the victim of more "insult" than the left. When that happens, especially with severity of reflux that Owen had, it just takes a little while for the kidney to catch up. Also, two kidneys are rarely the same time.

He closed by saying that he looked great, his kidneys look normal. Normal. We kept saying normal back and forth. I don't think any of us really believe it. It still hasn't sunk in. Owen doesn't have to have blood work or another renal pelvic ultrasound for another 6 months. I truly never thought this would happen. It is just so wonderful, there aren't words to describe how blessed I feel. I look at Owen in awe of all that he is been through and as hard as he has fought to get here. We always knew he would be ok whatever his differences were. Even before when it seemed impossible that the reflux would ever be resolved, there was a plan. He would have been normal, Owen's very own normal. But now he is just normal, as in his urinary tract is normal. Amazing. Wonderful. Thrilling. Miraculous.

For the umpteenth time, thank you Dr. Gazak!

No comments:

Post a Comment