Monday, March 1, 2010

18 Months

Owen was 18 months old on Saturday. 18 months, a whole year and a half!? I know I have said this numerous times throughout the development of both of my children, but seriously where has the time gone? It is absolutely unbelievable to me that my baby is a toddler. In fact, I won't have it! He is my baby, end of story.

It is funny, because I remember this stage in Carter's development. I remember being frustrated because he was talking, but was still unable to fully communicate his wants and needs. We used sign language a lot with Carter. We tried it a bit earlier on with Owen and he didn't take to it. He talks quite a bit, but has fairly recently started to whine and show discontent when we don't understand what he wants. I'm thinking another shot at a few signs is in order for Little Man.

As always, watching these kiddos grow is amazing. Owen amazes me every day. His smile and laugh continue to be contagious. He and Carter just crack each other up. Once Owen gets a laugh out of you, he keeps on going until you are just in stitches.

I do not believe in comparing the abilities of my children (or children in general for that matter), but I cannot help but notice the difference between Owen and the way Carter was at this age. I believe the differences are in large part because with Carter I was a rookie, whereas now I am a seasoned veteran. :) In all seriousness, one minute I find myself thinking, "Owen seems so much younger than Carter was at this age." and the next minute trying to remember, "Was Carter doing that at this age." The former no doubt has a lot to do with all of the illness that Owen has been through. In a lot of ways I feel like we were robbed of a normal infancy with him. Of course we were not robbed, we are blessed for each moment he has spent as part of our family. Still, it is a fact that Owen's development has been different from Carter's simply because of his health issues. He has been through more than anyone should go through in a lifetime, let alone in 18 months. However, he has thrived, has hit every milestone. He is right on track. For that we are so thankful. As for wondering if Carter had done such and such by this particular age, that is where the differences come in. It intrigues me to no end to look at the personalities of each of these precious boys of mine. They are so similar, yet so different at the same time. Most importantly, they love each other so incredibly much. I hope they have that love always.

I find myself nostalgic for moments passed, sad because Owen is our last baby and he is growing up. But boy is it fun to love these boys and watch them grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment