Saturday, September 14, 2013

New Onset Diabetes

I hate those words.

Owen had been complaining of a stomach ache. I thought he was nervous about school since he was having a bit of trouble adjusting. Then he wet the bed several nights in a row. He never has an accident. He didn't even when he was potty training. Wes and I were worried about a UTI. I took him to the doctor on Monday the 9th and our lives changed. He does have a UTI, but he also had a lot of sugar in his urine. As soon as I heard that I felt sick. We went down the hall to the lab for a finger prick and glucose test. Owen's blood sugar was 414. Both of my parents are diabetic so I knew that was high. I stood up and almost passed out. Without anyone saying the word, I knew my son had diabetes.

We saw the doctor again. He was shocked and felt awful about it. He is a family friend and said he just couldn't believe one more thing had been added to our plate. The next shock was when he told me I had to take Owen to the hospital immediately. I learned more in 24 hours than I thought possible. We are still learning and doing our best to care for Owen. We have wonderful family and some really great friends that have been so supportive. It means the world to me.

I have a lot of different emotions about this new diagnosis. I'm not quite ready to write about it yet, but I will soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment